Seachem Ammonia Alert
- Regular price
- $6.99 USD
- Regular price
- Sale price
- $6.99 USD
- Unit price
What is Seachem Ammonia Alert?
Ammonia Alert is an innovative color device for continuously detecting and monitoring toxic free ammonia. A sensor changes reversibly from yellow to green to blue relative to the ammonia concentration. No test kits, chemicals, or procedures are needed. The device detects less than 0.05 mg/L (ppm) of free ammonia and alerts you to the #1 killer before any sign of stress. It lasts over a year. Marine or freshwater use.
In the absence of free ammonia, the unit will assume a yellow or faint yellow-green color. It is usual for the dry sensor to have a greenish hue. A dry sensor may take up to a few days to equilibrate with the water. No sampling of water, chemicals, or test procedures are required. The presence of the free ammonia is detectable continuously, with a response time of about 15 minutes. Response to decreasing ammonia is slower, requiring about 4 hours to go from TOXIC to SAFE to remove ammonia.
Benefits of Seachem Ammonia Alert:
- Seachem sensor technology
- Continuously detects and monitors free ammonia
- No test kits, chemicals, or procedures are needed; just constant readings
- It lasts over a year
- Marine and freshwater
How Does Seachem Ammonia Alert Work?
As little as 0.02 mg/L of free ammonia will produce a greenish hue on the detector surface. This corresponds to a total ammonia (both ionized and free ammonia) of 0.25 mg/L in marine water at pH 8.3. In freshwater at pH 7.0, this corresponds to 3.6 mg/L total ammonia.
Free ammonia is much more toxic than ionized ammonia. As free ammonia, the ALERT color corresponds to about 0.05 mg/L, ALARM to about 0.2 mg/L, and TOXIC to about 0.5 mg/L. Therefore, administering a water change should be considered for any indication other than SAFE. The ALERT concentration is tolerated for 3-5 days, ALARM for 1-3 days, and TOXIC is rapidly harmful, requiring immediate attention. For emergency ammonia removal, treat with ArmGuard.
No care is required beyond removing algae with clean, soft material. Avoid touching the sensor with fingers since skin oils can damage it. Do not use bleach, soap, detergents, or hard objects to clean the sensor. Some dye medications may discolor the sensor. Sensitivity improves with age, provided the unit is not allowed to dry out; however, drying does not permanently impair the unit. The unit should be read under natural daylight or daylight, simulating light for maximum sensitivity. Red enhancing light minimizes green and blue hues, decreasing the apparent sensitivity of the unit. The response of the unit may be checked by holding it briefly over the mouth of an ammonia bottle: color should develop rapidly.